An unfortunate event like a fire can cause extensive damage to both your property and your morale. In this case, the first thing that needs to be done is its restoration. Taking care of fire restoration is of utmost importance.
Post-fire, several health hazards can prove fatal to your well-being. Smoke and soot floating through the air may contain cancer-causing asbestos fibers, ammonia, tar, formaldehyde, and much more.
Besides, your property is in a very fragile and susceptible state after a fire.
One wrong move can cause a lot of further damage. Therefore, we have prepared this extensive list of do’s and don’ts to guide you through the process.
Do’s and Don’ts for a fire damage restoration?
- First, avoid going to the damaged property immediately after the fire has been put out since it can reignite and hurt you. Instead, get evidence of the fire’s damage by taking pictures.
- Once that is done, the first step is to turn off all power supplies in and around the damaged areas.
- Open windows for ventilation.
- Lightly coat the chrome trim on taps and kitchen appliances with petroleum to protect it.
- Vacuum loose smoke particles from the upholstery, drapes, and carpets before the usual traffic comes in.
- Change the furnace filters.
- Empty the refrigerator and freezer, as the electricity will be off.
- Wash laminate counter-tops and other appliances.
- Hire a plumber to drain the heating system.
- Wash or attempt to wash walls, roofs, or other absorbent surfaces. Let the insurance company do a thorough assessment.
- Sanitizing things with sanitizers as they are flammable substance.
- Use upholstery, carpets, or any furniture.
- Consume the food left in open containers during the fire.
- Turning on any electronic device or gas without professional guidance
What Does Fire Damage Restoration Include?
- A restoration service includes the following:
- Initial Contact
- Board up and trapping
- Cleaning up smoke and soot
- Odor removal
- Water damage restoration
- Complete restoration
Fire damage restoration is very useful and important, as it helps you restore your damaged property. The restoration process should be done very carefully, as fire is hazardous and one wrong step can reignite it in no time. Hence, taking proper professional guidance and following the above do’s and don’ts for fire damage restoration can help you through this damage.